Dental cleaning routines are essential for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. It is recommended that everyone should have a professional dental cleaning every six months. However, many people tend to skip this routine. But do you know why dental cleanings are crucial? In this article, we will discuss five reasons why you need professional dental cleaning.
5 Reasons to Have Your Teeth Professionally Cleaned
1. Prevent Dental Problems
The primary reason for having regular dental cleanings is to prevent dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, and tooth loss. Even if you are diligent about brushing and flossing regularly, cleaning your teeth thoroughly at home is impossible. Plaque and tartar buildup can occur, leading to tooth decay and gum disease. A professional dental cleaning can remove plaque and tartar, preventing dental problems from developing.
2. Early Detection of Dental Issues
During a dental cleaning, your dentist or dental hygienist will examine your mouth to check for any signs of dental issues. This includes checking for cavities, gum disease, oral cancer, and other dental problems. Early detection of dental issues can prevent them from worsening and becoming more expensive. Your dentist can recommend treatment options to address any dental problems found during the cleaning.
3. Fresher Breath and Whiter Teeth
Dental cleanings can help to freshen your breath and whiten your teeth. Plaque buildup can cause bad breath, and regular dental cleanings can remove it, leaving your mouth feeling fresh. Additionally, dental cleanings can remove surface stains on your teeth, making them appear whiter. While dental cleanings are not a substitute for professional teeth whitening, they can help maintain your teeth’ brightness.
4. Improve Overall Health
Research has shown a significant link between oral health and overall health. Poor oral health can contribute to several health issues, such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Regular dental cleanings can help to maintain good oral health, reducing the risk of developing these health issues.
5. Save Money in the Long Run
While dental cleanings may seem like an unnecessary expense, they can save you money in the long run. Preventing dental problems through regular dental cleanings can prevent the need for expensive dental treatments such as fillings, root canals, and extractions. Additionally, dental cleanings can help to detect dental issues early, making them easier and less expensive to treat.
What Happens During a Dental Cleaning?
Now that you know why dental cleanings are essential, you may wonder what happens during a dental cleaning. Here is a brief overview of the steps involved in a dental cleaning:
1. Examination: Before the cleaning begins, your dentist or dental hygienist will examine your mouth to check for any signs of dental issues.
2. Removing Plaque and Tartar: Using a scaler, your dentist or dental hygienist will remove any plaque and tartar buildup from your teeth. This may involve scraping and poking, but it should not be painful.
3. Cleaning with a Polishing Paste: Next, your teeth will be cleaned with a polishing paste to remove any surface stains and make your teeth smooth.
4. Flossing: Your dentist or dental hygienist will floss between your teeth to remove any food particles or plaque buildup.
5. Fluoride Treatment: Finally, a fluoride treatment can be administered to your teeth to enhance their strength and safeguard them from dental caries.
Regular professional dental cleanings are essential for maintaining optimal oral health. Regular dental cleanings can contribute to your overall health, as poor oral health has been linked to various systemic diseases. So, schedule your dental cleaning appointments every six months to ensure the well-being of your teeth and gums. Your smile will thank you!
It’s time to invest in your smile and overall health with the exceptional dental services in Sudbury provided by Sudbury Dental Arts. Our team of experienced professionals is ready to help you achieve the smile of your dreams. Book your appointment to start your journey toward a healthier, happier smile!