Historically, when a person lost their teeth, their only option was to get traditional dentures, partials or a dental bridge. While these options are still available and used to replace teeth, another option is now readily available. Dental implants are now the number one choice for replacing missing or damaged teeth. They are the only option that offers a permanent, long-term solution. Sudbury Dental Arts offers dental implants to their patients in the Wayland, MA area.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is actually a tooth root replacement that is effective once the tooth has been lost or pulled. It resembles a screw and is made of titanium, a biocompatible material. It is implanted in to the jaw bone via a surgical procedure. It will eventually fuse with the surrounding bone and serve as the base support for a dental restoration. Multiple dental implants will be placed to support a denture or bridge if the patient is missing several teeth. A single dental implant is implanted to support a dental crown when a person is only missing one tooth.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many benefits to choosing dental implants. They offer a 98% success rate and can completely change your life. These benefits include:
- Appearance – Implants are the most natural looking and natural feeling option to replace teeth. They do not appear bulky and will blend in with the rest of your smile.
- Convenience – Wouldn’t it be nice to just wake up and start your day without having to worry about inserting, removing or cleaning dentures or bridges? All those extra steps are avoided with implants.
- Improved speech and Easier Eating – Since implants are surgically placed, they will not wiggle or slip around in your mouth when eating or speaking. No more fear of your fake teething falling out or making your slur your speech.
- Improved oral health – Implants do not require your healthy teeth to be reduced like to accommodate them. They also will help prevent bone loss in your jaw since they actually replace the tooth root.
- No food restrictions – Dentures alone only deliver about a 30-40% normal chewing function. With dental implants there are no restrictions on what you can eat since they are durable, stable and permanent.
- Comfort – Unlike removable dentures, implants are permanent and customized to fit perfectly in the patient’s mouth.
What to Expect: Dental Implants
Sudbury Dental Arts partners with APEX Dental to offer full-service dental implants for convenient, predictable and lasting results. Dr. Robert Gauthier works alongside Dr. Joseph Cheung in the Wayland, MA area dental implant office. Your implant process will begin with an examination to determine if you qualify for dental implants. If you have enough bone density and are in good over-all health, you should be able to get them.
Next is the surgery where the implant(s) will be surgically placed in your jaw bone. The surgery will last about an hour for a single implant or more if you are having many implants placed. You will need about three to six months for your mouth to heal from surgery and for the titanium posts to fuse completely with the surrounding bone.
Last, you will return to our Wayland, MA dental implant office to have your final restoration attached to the implant. The implant will be uncovered and attach a small pieced called an abutment will be connected to it. This part will support the dental prosthesis. He will then attach the appropriate replacement teeth: a dental crown, a dental bridge or a denture.